Lighting Setup & Specular Highlights

Many times have I thought of building a frame and stretching that over. Would make a good outdoor scrim too.

I keep permanently up a 7' octa. I have attached the base of the speed ring to the rolling stand with a steel stud. That way the weight and leverage of the octa doesn't weigh on the attachment to the light and I can remove the light to use it on other stands and with other modifiers. I have a carabiner that clips to the light and stand as a safety for the light that is hung off the back of the speedring. Moving something that size is a piece of cake on a rolling stand and setting the octa vertical, it takes up little space pushed up against a wall. Someone mentioned using a large scrim. I do the same with a 6.5' square scrim clamped to a rolling stand. Try wrestling that around alone. I roll it around with one hand. It can be covered with a black/whiter panel for reflector or subtraction or a sheer. Or a sheer over a silver to soften the specularity as a fill. I use a 3x6 with angled legs that is free standing that stays on the shadow side with silver covered with sheer.

Most reactions

Back