Is low key lighting underexposed?

jwbryson1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Simple question, perhaps, but I think an honest question. Is this photo underexposed or an example of low key lighting? What's the difference? (For the record, I know it's got a focus issue, and yes, I can see the backdrop too. That's not the point). :sexywink:

DSC_0422.jpg

i think it's just a little underexposed, if there was just a little more light on the coat and hat it would be fine

could probably be fixed by bumping the reds up a touch in pp

Low key does not mean underexposed. Think: Chiaroscuro.

220px-Baglione.jpg
800px-Gerrit_van_Honthorst_-_De_koppelaarster.jpg

Love these images! So does that mean that every low key image has at least a portion of it that's "fully" exposed for lack of a better term?

I have always thought of it as lighting with a very high lighting ratio. Using only 1 or 2 light sources. The highlights are well exposed but the transition to shadow is sharp and dark. Like Rembrandt lighting. That is typical low key lighting.

Yes low key, yes underexposed. The objects or people should still be properly exposed on the parts that are lit up.
You could use some slight fill to prevent the left side from going totally black if you preferred and still have a nice low key shot.

My understanding is that a low key image uses every tone, from deep blacks to bright whites, it's just that the majority of the image is dark in tone. If an image is under exposed, it means that the highlights are grey, not white.

So an easy way to know if you achieved a good low light shot is if your histogram shows some white... it's a cheat sheet for photography.

Most reactions

Back