I'm now a novice view-camera user...

JamesD

Between darkrooms
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It looks like I'm going to join the ranks of large format photographers. Got a used Toyo 45CX... it'll probably be home before I am.

Can anyone recommend some good technical reading material for view cameras? I (think I) know the basics, but I've never researched too deeply into it because I haven't had the camera to play with.

On a side note: it's amazing what one can afford when one puts one's mind to it. Sheesh...

There are plenty of books here are couple of decent ones:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Camera-Technique-Seventh-Leslie-Stroebel/dp/0240803450/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-9079996-2571115?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175296502&sr=8-1"]View Camera Technique, [/ame]by Leslie Stroebel
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Camera-Steve-Simmons/dp/0817463534/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-9079996-2571115?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1175296502&sr=8-2"]Using the View Camera[/ame] by Steve Simmons

Also, there is ViewCamera magazine, not a bad rag overall.

A google search will provide plenty to go through as well as
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

Good luck and welcome to LF.
JC

Congrats!! :D I am so excited for you. Can't wait till you are able to start playing with the new toy.

JD, you'll love the flexibility of monorail cameras! I have the same model as you do and love shooting with it. It's an expensive proposition though, negatives are costly. A couple of things for you to consider:

1 - when shooting with a wide angle lens (such as the 90mm Spuer Angulon by Schneider) make sure you don't have a lot of rail hanging in front of your lens, otherwise you'll do what I did at my last shoot, take the pictures, go home and develop only to see that the end of the rail shows on the bottom of some negatives! :blushing:

2 - the 45CX has a funny size lens board, 110mm by 110mm and outside of the original Toyo lensboard there are not many other makers, although Canham does make one that fits perfectly. If in need, check The View Camera Store (google it) and talk to Fred, the owner. He has the Canham lensboards and that's where I bought a few.

What lenses do you have for it?

JD, you'll love the flexibility of monorail cameras! I have the same model as you do and love shooting with it. It's an expensive proposition though, negatives are costly. A couple of things for you to consider:
Paper Negatives!

1 - when shooting with a wide angle lens (such as the 90mm Spuer Angulon by Schneider) make sure you don't have a lot of rail hanging in front of your lens, otherwise you'll do what I did at my last shoot, take the pictures, go home and develop only to see that the end of the rail shows on the bottom of some negatives! :blushing:
Is there a particular place where the standards are supposed to be located on the rail? Or can you put them anywhere they need to be? I haven't had a chance to put my hands on it yet; it's still awaiting shipment.

2 - the 45CX has a funny size lens board, 110mm by 110mm and outside of the original Toyo lensboard there are not many other makers, although Canham does make one that fits perfectly. If in need, check The View Camera Store (google it) and talk to Fred, the owner. He has the Canham lensboards and that's where I bought a few.
Thanks, that's good info to know!

What lenses do you have for it?
I've got the kit lens: Rodenstock 150mm f/6.3 Geronar (Copal 0 shutter and lensboard). Not a great lens, from what I read, but I'll manage with it for a while. It'll at least let me learn the camera.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm really looking forward to using this goodie. I will just need to order a ground glass; the one it has is broken. And film holders, I believe.

Is there a particular place where the standards are supposed to be located on the rail? Or can you put them anywhere they need to be? I haven't had a chance to put my hands on it yet; it's still awaiting shipment.

Typically, and also depending on your focal length, what I do is move the rear standard forward a few inches, then bring everything into focus using the front standard, then bring things into sharp focus using the rear standard. This way you don't have to reach far forward during the delicate process and a bit less awkward. If you have issues with the front rail showing on the ground glass, you can always move the standards forward to elimate this. Although, the rear rail may be in your way while focusing doing this so if you can remove the front extension, if your camera has one, that is easier.

Your lens will be fine, G-Claron lenses can be had for short money and they are superb, when you are ready for more, although the 355mm G-Claron is a bit more pricey due to its wide coverage and interest of the ULF crowd. Don't be afraid of older lenses as well.

JC

I've finally got home and had a chance to look at my new camera. It's all in perfect working order, although I had to replace the ground glass... I ordered that in advance and it was here waiting, too. However, I need to find a tripod that will hold it up... the one I've got is fine for 35mm, but just too flimsy for MF or LF.

As soon as I get a tripod, I'll start fiddling with it to see how it works, then I'll start with paper negs... they're much cheaper to learn with.

Oh, and I thought this was kind of funny... there was a film holder in the camera, which wasn't listed in the description (seller probably didn't know it was there). Inside the film holder was a sheet of developed TMax 100 depicting someone's bathroom sink. I'll leave the rest to your imagination... :twisted:

woo hoo!!! I'm so excited for you. :) Can't wait to see some of the first pics from this baby.

I second View Camera Technique by Leslie Stroebel it is an excellent book. Good luck to you.

Most reactions

Back