Fuji XF 90 F2 Test

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This lens arrived today and I took a photo walk with a friend of mine to test it out. Nothing exciting to photograph, but the couple of decent test photos I got have me really excited to use this lens for a portrait session. I really like how the OOF areas render.. it'll take more time to evaluate it, but so far it appears to be close to my old Sigma 135 1.8 ART... and certainly close enough when you consider the fact that it's half of the size, weight, and price.

I've got a TFP session lined up Saturday and I'm planning to test this lens for that.

1.)
90Test-2 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

2.)
90Test-1 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

3.)
90Test-3 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

Nice little test Destin, I am sure you will love the 90mm as much as me and agree on the OOF rendering too.

It is a revered lens. I have seen some interesting images from it on flickr. Good stuff.

Roped my 14 year old niece into posing for a quick portrait after school so I could test this lens. I've been dying to see how it would render on a portrait, and I'm not disappointed. I think I'm going to end up being VERY happy with this lens.

This photo was shot as a raw file and converted to jpeg in Lightroom. It is edited and cropped. Shot wide open at F2 on my X-T20.
90Test-4 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

Roped my 14 year old niece into posing for a quick portrait after school so I could test this lens. I've been dying to see how it would render on a portrait, and I'm not disappointed. I think I'm going to end up being VERY happy with this lens.

This photo was shot as a raw file and converted to jpeg in Lightroom. It is edited and cropped. Shot wide open at F2 on my X-T20.

Nice portrait. Curious if you have tried exporting the jpeg on this (if you're shooting raw + jpeg) and taking a look to compare the two? I find the Fuji jpegs so much better than what I got for jpeg from Nikon, with excellent contrast and colors - a lot of the time I need only to crop...

Amazing seperation

Nice portrait. Curious if you have tried exporting the jpeg on this (if you're shooting raw + jpeg) and taking a look to compare the two? I find the Fuji jpegs so much better than what I got for jpeg from Nikon, with excellent contrast and colors - a lot of the time I need only to crop...

I haven’t, but I will. I did shoot it in raw+jpeg.

The photo of your niece is excellent. Did you get the 56mm? I was looking at that one and the 90mm.

The photo of your niece is excellent. Did you get the 56mm? I was looking at that one and the 90mm.

I don't have it yet, but I have the 50 f/2. I probably won't pick up the 56mm unless I find a really good deal on a used copy. I tend to like longer focal lengths for portraits, so I went with the 90mm. It's the Fuji equivalent of my favorite lens ever: the Sigma 135 ART.

the

Your comment made me curious, so here's a comparison. I prefer the warmer tones I brought into the raw file, but the jpeg is probably the best SOOC image I've personally seen. I don't know that I can bring myself to stop shooting in RAW though, I just like the additional flexibility it gives me in post.

1.) SOOC jpeg. Cropped, but no other editing whatsoever.
90Test-5 by Destin Danser, on Flickr

2.) Edited and retouched RAW photo

Most reactions

Back