Flash

cccott3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Im needing some help on what flash to buy!! Ok so I am getting the Nikon D7000 and im not sure which lens nikon 16-85 or sigma 17-70? And im even more clueless on which flash! From what I have read I need more than one flash so for now Im thinking nikon sb-700 and maybe add some more later. I feel like like I need to join a second forum so I can limit the amount of questions im asking here lol Thanks for any advise you have for me :)

I have 2 SB-700s and they work great.

What will you be shooting? Will you be doing this professionally? What's your budget?

Mostly my son. I would like to be able to take pro quality pics for family and friends in the future. I have a large game room upstairs that i could turn into a studio. I have seamless paper and stand 2 super cheap unbrella light stobes that were given to me (not sure of the brand, its not on the equipment). My budget is $2,000. The camera and lens is about $1,600 so that leaves about $400. Thanks

For most 'general' use, you probably only need one flash and it would be camera mounted most of the time. So any model that can tilt & swivel (allowing you to bounce) will be good. I'd say the SB600, but it seems that the SB700 is the newer version of that. The SB800 or SB900 gives you more power and a few more options, but it's expensive and probably more than you need.

Now, for setting up a studio space, you'll likely want/need more than one light. But, you really don't need to pay for all the extra features of a Nikon flash. A cheap 'manual' flash with a simple radio flash trigger will be a much cheaper way to go. That type of stuff gets talked about a lot around here, so do some searching for plenty of good info.

Thanks for the info mike ;)

I sometimes tell people that they NEED more than one flash, but that's for professionals who shoot weddings etc., just so that they have back-up. That's why I asked what you plan to shoot.

Most reactions

Back