Flash recommendation anybody?

Daniel Scheel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone! Just watched Mario Testino´s documentary and saw he uses this kind of paparazzi flash in a lot of his imagery. Does anybody recommend any good flash like this? I have a mamiya rz67 which I use as well and some other film cameras so should be compatible with them all.

Captura de pantalla 2020 04 13 a las 19 34 44 — Postimage.org

Thank you so much and be safe!

Daniel

How much do you want to spend and how much light do you need? Anything from a Godox AD200 for a couple of hundred US, to the Elinchrom Quadra for $1500.

How much do you want to spend and how much light do you need? Anything from a Godox AD200 for a couple of hundred US, to the Elinchrom Quadra for $1500.
Sorry forgot to mention! Around 300 USD!

Looks like a normal flash with some sort of reflector being held over it.

I personally love my Godox TT600. All the features most people would need without breaking the bank.

What’cha got there is a Lumedyne flash head, out of the picture is the power pack. It is a battery powered unit and they have been around for decades. I rented their systems way back in the late 1980’s for gigs where I needed more power than a typical speedlight. They are still in business it seems with the latest battery technology but they come at a price, the head alone is @$360 and you’ll still need a power source.

In today’s market, a Godox Ad200 Pro or the new AD300 Pro would be my choice.

Agreed.. Lumedyne flash...powerful! 200 or so Watt-seconds. Others like this would be the old Norman 200B, and Flashpoint had a 400 a few years back.

There is something to be said for these powerful flash units, which allow you to shoot at small f stops like 11 and F-16 at low ISO values. However in recent years sensor ISO performance has gone up and so we can often get quite good photos using ISO 400.

I myself think it pays handsomely to buy a speedlight which has a guide number of at least 100 at ISO 100, in feet.

Amazing thank you for all your answers! Would there be a head modifier for any of these that would be exactly like on the picture? Like a standard reflector but just smaller!

Thanks!

Amazing thank you for all your answers! Would there be a head modifier for any of these that would be exactly like on the picture? Like a standard reflector but just smaller!

Thanks!

Absolutely. The Godox/Flashpoint AD200 variant flash accepts this reflector for the bare flashcube head:
Godox 4.7" Standard Reflector for AD360 and AD200 Bare-Bulb Heads

If you want a small head to mount on camera or a L-bracket then add this to your shopping cart, be advised the cable extension does impact light output:
Godox EC200 Extension Flash Head

Thanks!

Absolutely. The Godox/Flashpoint AD200 variant flash accepts this reflector for the bare flashcube head:
Godox 4.7" Standard Reflector for AD360 and AD200 Bare-Bulb Heads

If you want a small head to mount on camera or a L-bracket then add this to your shopping cart, be advised the cable extension does impact light output:
Godox EC200 Extension Flash Head
Ah amazing! But I read this would not work for my film cameras right?

Thank you!

Most reactions

Back