External Flash Recommendation for a D750

I use a Nikon sb-900 with mine and I have no complaints. I also have a pr of Yongnuo yn-565's that have never failed me.

Last edited:
I also own/use the SB-900, love it! A buddy of mine asked me once "doesn't your camera have a built in flash?" I said yes. He said, well just use that.

Shadowlands, I'll bet your buddy calls himself an available light photographer, translation, he doesn't know how to use flash or any other modifiers. First, the built in flash has minimal power. Second, it can be used only for straight on flash. Ok for fill if you are close, but as main, it is flat light with an ice pick catch light in the center of the pupil and a good chance for red eye. Your flash head tilts for bouncing to soften and give direction. It also gets the flash head further above the camera. Oh, and if you want flat straight on light, you can do that as well.

It's funny. He told me "I'm glad I bought the D3100 because it comes with a built in flash." I was like "oh lord". I didn't even want to go there and or explain bounce flash, off camera flash, etc...

Well a built in flash means that you always have a flash, which can be handy if you did not expect to need a flash and did not bring one.
That happened to me once. A few days before my nephew's wedding, he asked me to shoot pix at the reception. My flash was 2,500 miles away. The only flash I had was the pop-up flash. Can you say "red eye" and badly placed shadow. But it gave them the pix they wanted.

Given a choice, I would NOT use the pop-up flash for my primary light source.

I have a SB910, A SB700, and a Godox TT685N. Of the 3, I use the Godox the most. Not that it is any better but, it is every bit as good as the SB910 and can be hand for around $100.

Most reactions

Back