E-mount

sondrapage

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have the camera bodies of a Sony Nex 3N and Nex 5, along with two extra lenses. I have the F 28mm F2 and the F 4.5-6.3 OSS. I have noticed that it is terrible with shooting inside, in low lit situations. I am new with photography and am still working on understanding manual mode, so I choose to use auto for now. Is there a lens that allows more light for indoor photos? Is it the camera itself? I have considered getting a DSLR but do not have the funds right now. Any thoughts??

Your NEX 5 uses the same APS-C sensor as most entry level DSLR's so from a sensor point of view you probably wouldn't see a huge benefit unless you went to a full frame camera.

When shooting indoors without a flash you will most likely need to increase the ISO to get a proper exposure. I don't own an NEX-5 but from some of the reading I've done I've read several people who made note of the fact that their NEX-5 would not go above ISO 1600 when set to auto-iso, so that might be part of the issue.

You will most likely have to adjust the ISO higher if your shooting indoors without a flash. Since you will be pushing the ISO higher, you'll want to keep your aperture wider if possible to allow more light into the lens, and slower shutter speeds when possible again to allow you to keep the ISO down a bit for proper exposure. For people candids usually 1/120 is a pretty good place to start, you can shoot at lower shutter speeds but the slower the speed the more likely it is that you'll introduce motion blur so it's always a trade off.

define terrible. The 28mm f/2.0 is about as fast as you're going to get... most e-mount lenses are 2.8 at best, unless you wanna spring $900 for the Sigma 20mm 1.4.

I was shooting my kit 3.5-5.6 in horrendous lighting and I'm pretty impressed with the results.

You could also use the flash.

Last edited:
I have the camera bodies of a Sony Nex 3N and Nex 5, along with two extra lenses. I have the F 28mm F2 and the F 4.5-6.3 OSS. I have noticed that it is terrible with shooting inside, in low lit situations. I am new with photography and am still working on understanding manual mode, so I choose to use auto for now. Is there a lens that allows more light for indoor photos? Is it the camera itself? I have considered getting a DSLR but do not have the funds right now. Any thoughts??

Do you understand how to adjust the iso?

Do you understand how to adjust the iso?

Yes I understand how to adjust the ISO, but I am not exactly quick with figuring out where it should be yet. I need practice with that.

Your NEX 5 uses the same APS-C sensor as most entry level DSLR's so from a sensor point of view you probably wouldn't see a huge benefit unless you went to a full frame camera.

When shooting indoors without a flash you will most likely need to increase the ISO to get a proper exposure. I don't own an NEX-5 but from some of the reading I've done I've read several people who made note of the fact that their NEX-5 would not go above ISO 1600 when set to auto-iso, so that might be part of the issue.

You will most likely have to adjust the ISO higher if your shooting indoors without a flash. Since you will be pushing the ISO higher, you'll want to keep your aperture wider if possible to allow more light into the lens, and slower shutter speeds when possible again to allow you to keep the ISO down a bit for proper exposure. For people candids usually 1/120 is a pretty good place to start, you can shoot at lower shutter speeds but the slower the speed the more likely it is that you'll introduce motion blur so it's always a trade off.

Thanks for your advice! I was told my a college instructor to never use flash but I will consider it. I am still learning all the right things to do when taking photos inside, outside, with action, etc.

I was told my a college instructor to never use flash but I will consider it.

I hope this college instructor is not a Photography instructor if they told you to never use a flash.
Flash exists because many times you need it. Especially in doors.

Yes I understand how to adjust the ISO, but I am not exactly quick with figuring out where it should be yet. I need practice with that.

Take some time to test all the ramifications of the exposure triangle.
You need a sound understanding of the basic issues before you do anything.

turn on auto-iso.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back