Canon Speedlite 600 EX

basha

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
dear brothers,

I have problem with my flash (Canon Speedlite 600EX) is not working with Transmitter
( Canon ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter ) when i search in this i find there is two type from flash 600 :
1- (Canon Speedlite 600EX) which i have
2- (Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT ) now there is new model in market canon 600Ex-RT II

Note : My DSLR Camera is Canon 5D Mark III

please if there is any way to let the trigger ST-E3-RT work with Canon speedlite 600 EX.

best regards,
basha

Hard to diagnosis the problem with this information but...
The 600EX I think is an RT (Radio Transmitter) flash and works with the ST-E3. The II version is just the new upgrade and it also works with the ST-E3. I have both flash units.
Make sure the radio link is working via a green light on the front top of the E3. It will only be green when a link exists. Then I suggest going through the Menu on the camera to verify your set up. Is flash enabled?, etc. The settings made on the camera menu will get transferred to the flash units. But you do have to set up the flash heads themselves as Slave units and pick a group letter. I suggest a careful review of the manuals. It's really simple once you get the basics down.

Yes, and I use the combination all the time. Assuming this isn't something trivial such as a dead battery...

Attach the ST-E3-RT to the hot shoe on your 5D III.
Power on the 5D III
Power on the ST-E3-RT transmitter
Power on the 600EX-RT flash

On the back of the 600EX-RT flash there's a "link" button. It looks like a zig-zag arrow. It's the left-most button the back of the flash (just above the button labeled "mode"). This button cycles through various linking modes. But there is only ONE mode that works with the ST-E3-RT.

The ST-E3-RT only works in "radio" mode and it only works as a "master" (it would be pointless to be a slave since it doesn't actually have a flash).

The 600EX-RT, on the other hand, can work standalone, or it can wirelessly in either "optical" mode or "radio" mode. And it can be a "master" or it can be a "slave. You MUST configure it to work wireless in RADIO mode and it must be a SLAVE.

As you press the zig-zag arrow button (the link mode button) you'll see the LCD display on the back of the 600EX-RT display an icon in the extreme upper right corner. You want the thing that looks like a lollipop with waves emanating from it (that's "radio" mode) AND you want to see the word "SLAVE" on the LCD display.

When you reach the correct mode, IF the ST-E3-RT is on AND the 600EX-RT is in the correct mode THEN you'll get a green "LINK" light on both units (meaning they've established radio communication with each other.)

There can be several reasons why it wont work.

Press the right-most soft-button to get to the page labeled "Menu 3". On that page, the first soft button will be labeled "CH" (channel) and the next soft-button is labeled "ID" (identification number). These two options allow you to work in places where other shooters are using the same gear without THEIR cameras firing YOUR flashes (and vice versa.)

So you do have to make sure your units are all using the same channel. By default this is set to "auto" and that's probably fine.

But even if units are on the same channel, they'll only agree to work together if they use the same ID. I think the factory default is to use ID "0000" (all zeros) but you could set it to some other value. E.g. if you picked "1234" then EVERY COMPONENT must use the SAME ID (they all have to be set to "1234" or they wont link and talk to each other).

Next... it's possible to assign flashes to firing groups. By default your camera will use a firing group named "ALL" which, as the name implies, fires all flashes (as long as they're part of your wireless flash setup -- meaning they're on the same "ID" number and using the same channel (if you manual set channels) or using "auto" if you've set everything to "auto" channel selection.

Otherwise you can assign flashes to belong to group A, B, C, D, or E (five different groups). This allows you to control the power level or ratio of light provided by the systems in each group. So I can set flashes to fire from the right, others from the left, and others to light a background, and still others to fire from behind but create a nice shine on the subject's hair (a hair light) and I could assign them to groups A, B, C, and D. I can then independently set how much power should be provided by each flash. You can put more than one flash into the "group" (which is why it's called a group).

Anyway... if you assigned a flash to group B but told the camera that you only want to fire group A then the flash in group B wont fire even though it's part of your flash system and is otherwise "working" correctly because you told it not to fire.

Syl Arena has a few books, blogs, and videos on the Canon Speedlite system. You can find a recorded webinar that goes in-depth on this system here: Canon DLC: Gallery: Mastering the Speedlite 600EX-RT with Syl Arena

What is the difference between the OP's 600EX, and the 600EX - RT flash?

Is there a non-RT model?

In certain countries they cannot use the radio due to licensing restrictions (and in those markets you wouldn't be able to get the ST-E3-RT transmitter.) In most markets however, only the 600EX-RT is offered. There is also now a 600EX-RT II.

My guess is that when the OP wrote "Canon Speedlite 600EX" they actually have the Canon Speedlite 600EX-RT.

If, by chance, they actually do have a "600EX" (no "-RT" suffix) then they can't use radio and it wont work with an ST-E3-RT transmitter. The 600EX would be optical wireless (instead of radio) so it would work with the ST-E2 optical transmitter.

The top of the flash (the hinged part with the strobe in it) should be labeled "600EX-RT".

Thank alot my frinds ,

You are right the Canon 600 Ex work only with ST-E2 ( optical transmitter) only

but Canon 600 EX-RT and Canon 600 EX-RT II work fine with ST-E3 which is Radio transmitter

Thanks every body hellp us to understand the technology

Best regards,
Basha

Dear brothers,

I need to add some information for the subject .

The Laso Transmitter can be used to trigger non-radio E-TTL flashes with the Laso Receiver; photographers can also use the Canon ST-E3-RT flash transmitter or similar devices instead of the Laso Transmitter if desired.

So there are a ( Radio Reciver Device ) we can but it with non Radio speedlite as Canon 600 Ex work with canon ST-E3-RT.

“wireless flash receiver” called the YNE3-RX from Yongnuo company set on non-radio speedlite its work with canon trigger also.

Regareds ,
Basha

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back