Camouflaging a tripod

Brighter Day

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am learning to do Wildlife Photography and at this point, I am into camo. I own a 3 Legged Thing Winston Tripod, and I am wanting to camouflage it. Not just legs, but all of it. Do you guys have good suggestions on how to blend it in?

For starters, make sure you put some strips of orange tape on it. Most animals won't spot it. But hunters will see it. You're not trying to be camouflaged from humans, just animals.

A useful item is a sniper veil. It's good to cover a long zoom. Or your head. Or a scarf when it's cold. Or to drape over your tripod. And that may be the most effective type of cover because unless you're shooting in the same foliage for the same season, you'll need to change based on location and time of year.

Last of all, in my experience shooting wildlife (camera, not hunting), the critical elements for giving away your location are scent and movement. Not color.

I can help here.

You have some options. Personally, I simply rattle can things a light shade of coyote brown and then add some random stripes in a dark tan. Camouflage is ALL about breaking up your profile, not about becoming invisible. As a lifelong hunter and also a veteran of the outdoor industry who built a hunting apparel brand, I can say with confidence that the most effective patterns are the simplest. Break up the outline; don't try to look like a shrub.

The post above is correct--many animals don't see orange. Stay away from blue, however. Be aware that birds absolutely see color and will shy away from anything unnatural. But yes, assuming you're not shooting turkeys or other prey birds, it can never hurt to war an orange hat, especially in the fall.

Your other option is to buy camo tape on Amazon--that is if it won't interfere with the telescoping legs. They make tape that can be removed.

Here are a few of the more effective patterns for reference. Notice it's all about breaking up your shape and not actually looking like a tree or a leaf.

Attachments

• 1285246-1200-auto.png
    1285246-1200-auto.png
    328.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240505_192635_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_192635_Chrome.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 1

Most reactions

Back