Buy a bigger screen or move your existing screen closer?

Strmbrg

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been thinking of getting a bigger screen for my editing.
The quality of my screen is just okay to me, just the size feels a little too small. Especially because I like to sit leaned back in my chair.
Searching and wondering if the investment is really worth it.
Mainly due to the enormous market, I leaned forward on the desk, totally confused.
Then - in that forward position - I realized, my existing screen now (of course) appeared much bigger!
Just slide it towards me gives me what I want.
Pieces of felt simplifies it even further.
Djiiizus! How simple can it ever be to solve a problem?..

Last edited:
not too long ago, I switched back from a 21 inch screen to my old 30 inch Apple Cinema display. My first look at high-resolution photos displayed large was a revelation. Especially on vertical shots, the difference between a 21 inch and the big 30 inch was quite noticeable.

While I typically work on my laptop since I am on the go all the time, if I had a desktop I would get a second, larger screen.

At work I have dual screens and love it, at one station I also actually have 4. With dual screens you can use the large one for the image and the secondary screen for any other open apps, files, ext.

Try using a projector pixels 25mm sq
I was doing some images where I needed to pixel peep.. I had a projector that is display grade and colour calibrated
Sat with wireless keyboard and graphic tablet easy

I also stay with a laptop because of the portability. I tried using a second monitor with it but it just didn't feel comfortable. If I want to pixel peep I can cast to big screen smart tv.

I'd go high res before going big. One thing that's been on my wish list for quite some time has been a 27" 300ppi screen. I might even go for a 24" if I could get 300ppi and a gaming spec one.

I do think it's bizzare that a lot of photographers seem content with HD or 4K but being able to view images at print resolution I think would be fantastic.

I've got an Asus VP247QG. 24" gaming monitor. The problem I had was were it sat. Worked fine for playing games, but I would have to lean forward and look through my bi-focals to really look at picture details. Lot of kinks in my neck. With this swing arm, I can pull it forward and look at it with my normal lens or pull it even more forward and look at it without my glasses. Really pixel peep. And then push it back and watch a movie on Netflix. Total game changer.

For me, it a larger screen is not o much about pixel-peeping or any other fine-detail-focus.
For my part, a larger screen is needed to get my photo to dominate my eye's angle of view.

Obviously it is all a matter of habit, but it is hard for me to imagine using anything less than 32". I use my Lenovo Yoga for some on-location tethering and might even do some basic stuff in C1 on it but for all serious work -- everything goes to a desktop with a 32" Pro monitor.

If any change I do to my monitors is doubling them. From a single 32" to two. Say all the panels in the second monitor combined with the RAW processor so I could dedicate the main screen to the image I'm working on... But, at $AUD1500 for another one (and I'm talking about the flagship model of three years ago -- since I'd be matching the monitors, the current model is like $2500) I think I will stay with a single monitor setup.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back