Black and white portrait photography

KidfireX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm simply looking to enhance my technique. Let me know your thoughts on this portrait. Thank you.
3.jpg

I like it but I think if the background was not half bright half dark it would be even better. Especially because things around his ear look kinda weird.

I appreciate the feedback. I was personally inspired by the contrast between the opposite corners of the screen. Thanks again guys! Keep it coming.

I think it's pretty darn good. I've got nothing

I'm simply looking to enhance my technique. Let me know your thoughts on this portrait. Thank you.

I think it's a really good start and an interesting portrait, but IMO you've to watch 2 things. The skin of this person looks very bright/washed out (forehead) and his left eye came out too dark. You need a little reflector (or just give a model some piece of -news-paper to hold in front of his/her face) to function as a fill-in on location and so, avoid those dark eye sockets.
Secondly you need to practize things like B&W conversion, in this picture use the "curves" to darken (parts of) the skin, sometimes not more than a little correction is needed.

I did a quick edit working with your uploaded jpeg, duplicated the persons right eye (with the nice, little reflection) to the left side (so you're now looking at twice his right eye!!) and next I darkened this persons skin - mainly forehead - and finally (but, this is absolutely my personal taste) I made the background darker, plus I included a very light, brown coloured transparant layer, because I think it suits the face of this person better in combination with the rather limited depth of field.

Success!

img.JPG

Last edited:
The main issue I see is that the over-bright portion of the background is pulling the viewer's eye away from the subject's face. He's got a great look, but I don't think this exposure & background served him as well as something different would.

Thanks guys! You're absolutely right about the bright corner.

Didn't know that Uncle Ted (Nugent) had a twin.

I agree with the statements above, but this is for sure headed in the right direction.

Most reactions

Back