Best camera for bears - beginner needs advice

daniel1948

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi. I've just booked a trip to Churchill, Manitoba, to see the polar bears, and I'd like advice on what camera to buy.

My present camera is a Cannon PowerShot elph 110 HS with 16.1 MP, image stabilization, and 5X optical zoom. Point-and-shoot. I know next to nothing about photography, and this little camera is easy to carry when I go hiking in the mountains and gives me pretty decent pictures. I'm not a terribly serious photographer. I have no aspirations to winning any photography contests. I just like to have some nice pictures of the places I've been.

I know some theory (a little) but have no practical ability beyond point the thing and press the button. I intend to try to learn how to get the most out of the camera, but just in case I turn out to be a complete dunce, I'd like it to have point-and-shoot capability. Image stabilization is a must. I will not be making any poster-size prints but I want the pictures to make full use of the retina display on my 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2732 X 2048 resolution at 264 ppi).

I'd probably be happy enough with my present camera, but for the bears I'm going to want more zoom because while they occasionally come very close to the tundra buggy, there can be some great shots that are too far away for my little 5X camera to do much with. I was in Alaska to see the brown bears, and while I had a great experience with my 8-24X binoculars, there were times when the binoculars let me see the bears just fine but my pictures were worthless with the meager 5X zoom. (Though there were other times when the bears came quite close and I got some very nice pictures.)

For a budget, I will say $400 tops, for a camera that really fits my needs perfectly, but I'd prefer to stay under $300 otherwise.

Attempting some research, but really not knowing where to begin, I see on Amazon there's a Nikon Coolpix L330 with 20 MP and 26X zoom for $174, and there's a Cannon PowerShot SX410 IS for $179 with 20 MP and a 40X zoom. But I have no idea how to judge between them or any of the other many cameras out there.

Does it even matter? Are all modern cameras similar enough that only a professional or very serious and knowledgeable amateur could tell the difference? The only thing I am relatively sure of is that I don't want to have to deal with multiple lenses or anything heavy. I've seen folks with one-and-a-half or two-foot-long lenses on their fancy cameras, and they got spectacular pictures, but that's beyond my ambitions at this point.

If you are specifically wanting photos of polar bears then you either need one of theses or stop by the gift shop and buy some post cards. They are not critters to play with & $400 is not going to get you the kind of reach you need.
Photographer Michio Hoshino Killed by Bear

For bears you want a minimum of 400mm (I wouldn't use it for Grizzly or Polar bears) and more like 600 to 800mm focal length. You might look at something like this. Nikon COOLPIX P530 Digital Camera (Black) 26464 B&H Photo Video
This might be a better choice, but out of your price range. Nikon COOLPIX P900 Digital Camera 26499 B&H Photo Video

If you need range then these are what to look at. Point and Shoot Cameras, Compact Digital Cameras - B&H

Talk with the guiding company and ask them what they recommend. As for a range of cost, too, if they will give that. I have seen those big tour busses get fairly close, so a really long telephoto would be wasted expense. A DSLR if you can swing it, and a nice zoom lens like a mid-length such as a 70-200mm and maybe rent a long lens for those times when the bears are simply too far away. You can rent a lens for a week and turn it back in when (if?) you return to civilization.

For a budget, I will say $400 tops, for a camera that really fits my needs perfectly, but I'd prefer to stay under $300 otherwise.

Attempting some research, but really not knowing where to begin, I see on Amazon there's a Nikon Coolpix L330 with 20 MP and 26X zoom for $174, and there's a Cannon PowerShot SX410 IS for $179 with 20 MP and a 40X zoom. But I have no idea how to judge between them or any of the other many cameras out there.

Does it even matter? Are all modern cameras similar enough that only a professional or very serious and knowledgeable amateur could tell the difference? The only thing I am relatively sure of is that I don't want to have to deal with multiple lenses or anything heavy. I've seen folks with one-and-a-half or two-foot-long lenses on their fancy cameras, and they got spectacular pictures, but that's beyond my ambitions at this point.
If $400 is tops, then you might as well forget a DSLR, as an entry-level body and entry-level lens is about all you'll get for that budget.

Here's the problem with the compact cameras with 40x zoom. Yes, it's an optical zoom, but the lenses and sensors just aren't up to the same quality of image that you will get with a DSLR. And zooming out to 40x an hand-holding your camera will likely result in blurry photos. Even when the tour bus stops, you just can't hold the camera steady enough to get sharp photos of something that is several hundred yards away.

Those folks with the really large lenses are shooting at the upper limit of reach and at the limits of shutter speed and ISO as well. Even with a clamp-on tripod clamped to the bus window it's still at the practical limits of their expensive gear.

Your best bet with your compact camera is to carry some bear bait to toss out the bus window. When the bears stand up to reach into the bus, get your shot and move quickly to the other side of the bus.

Some information about how the polar bear tour works: First off, we are never on the ground outside of the town of Churchill (which is patrolled by locals to keep themselves safe while out of doors in town.) We will transfer from buggy to lodge well above the reach of the bears. It would indeed be suicidal to venture out on foot onto the tundra during bear-watching season. Unlike grizzly bears and brown bears, which very rarely attack people, polar bears will eat you if given half a chance, and they are starving at that time of year, since they've had nothing to eat while the sea has been free of ice. Which is why we are not allowed to set foot on the ground.

The bears come right up to the buggy and the lodge. You don't need one of those humongous lenses like Gryphon linked to to get good pictures. I actually got some decent shots with my little 5X point-and-shoot. The enormous lenses produce spectacular pictures at great distances. But even a 15 X zoom should be a big improvement over my 5X zoom.

My problem is that I don't know enough about cameras to judge between the ones available. But perhaps I'm asking in the wrong place, given the hum-drum nature of my goals, and the very amateurish kind of camera I'm looking for.

Fuji do an S1 bridge camera that was marketed as being some way weather resistant, has a 50x zoom, inbuilt stabilization, WiFi and a rotating screen, good enough reviews, might be worth a look

Some information about how the polar bear tour works: First off, we are never on the ground outside of the town of Churchill (which is patrolled by locals to keep themselves safe while out of doors in town.) We will transfer from buggy to lodge well above the reach of the bears. It would indeed be suicidal to venture out on foot onto the tundra during bear-watching season. Unlike grizzly bears and brown bears, which very rarely attack people, polar bears will eat you if given half a chance, and they are starving at that time of year, since they've had nothing to eat while the sea has been free of ice. Which is why we are not allowed to set foot on the ground.

The bears come right up to the buggy and the lodge. You don't need one of those humongous lenses like Gryphon linked to to get good pictures. I actually got some decent shots with my little 5X point-and-shoot. The enormous lenses produce spectacular pictures at great distances. But even a 15 X zoom should be a big improvement over my 5X zoom.

My problem is that I don't know enough about cameras to judge between the ones available. But perhaps I'm asking in the wrong place, given the hum-drum nature of my goals, and the very amateurish kind of camera I'm looking for.
The problem with the concept of 5X or 15X is it is meaningless with out understanding the focal lengths involved. A 1mm to 50mm is a 50X zoom and a 1mm to 100mm lens it a 100X zoom. That is why I detest the X's concept, it is virtually meaningless unless you understand focal length. To know what you need you need to know how far away they will likely be from you.

Don't underestimate Grizzly, Black or Brown bears, especially this time of year.

Depends on how brave you are.

Which is why you never ever use a 70-200mm for bear. :cool-48:

FYI. In a vehicle or not one of these is your friend. I'm never without one when in the back country in a vehicle or on foot.

I'd be amazed if that would even phase a polar bear.
Three chambers loaded with Hornady LEVERevolution Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 225 Grain Flex Tip and three chambers loaded with either Cor-Bon Hunter Ammunition 44 Remington Magnum 320 Grain Hard Cast Lead Flat Nose Box or 44 Mag 240 Grain FMJ. You can stop damn near anything with that combo.

Your best bet with your compact camera is to carry some bear bait to toss out the bus window. When the bears stand up to reach into the bus, get your shot and move quickly to the other side of the bus.
You cant be friggin serious.

Just have a backup plan.

Cameras are useless for bears, they lack the dexterity to press the right buttons and without an opposable thumb they'll just bat it around and break it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back