aommaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.aommaster.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone

My apologies, in advance, for the long post. I think it's always better to provide as much information as possible in order to get quality advice, so here goes nothing!

I'd like a little advice from people more experienced than myself on what camera to purchase. I collect a variety of different scientific/mathematical displays as well as toys and wanted to photograph them, and later process them in Photoshop. The figures I have range in size from about an inch to larger scale figures around 24" tall (you can get an idea by visiting my gallery on my website). I was thinking of creating little product posters for each one, just for fun and to hone my Photoshop skills. I'm fairly familiar with Photoshop but not quite so in the photography department! I pretty much no photography experience, and I barely even use my cell-phone's camera.

I've been looking around and I think I have settled on one of two cameras, both by Nikon - the D3300 and the D5200. From what I could gather, they're both great entry-level cameras. Also, they both capture in RAW format, which is important to me because I'll be post-processing them in Lightroom before moving them over to Photoshop. Any advice on which would be better suited for the job? I'm assuming both these cameras allow you to adjust the focus manually, adjust exposure, shutter speed and aperture?

I did a comparison on Snapsort and (as far as performance goes) the D3300 has lower noise at higher ISO, but the D5200 has more focus points and a slightly better image quality. Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I understand about ISO, the D3300 would perform better when taking photographs with low light levels whereas the D5200 would perform better when you want to vary the depth of field? In this case, would the D5200 be better suited for me?

I'd prefer to stick with Nikon, unless there's a really good reason to use a Canon, mainly because I eventually want to take a stab at tilt-shift photography, and I find the respective 3rd party lenses are slightly cheaper for Nikon. I know it seems like quite a jump, from shooting small objects to large-scale shots, but I figured it was a decent goal to work towards. I certainly don't intend on buying a lens now, as I'd like to see how I fare with just the basics.

Also, with regards to the purchase, should I purchase the camera as an entire kit, that is, with the additional lenses? If so, should I buy it VR lenses? If not, what lenses would I need for photographing my collection? What kind of tripod should I be looking for? Would the standard flash on the camera be sufficient enough to light the object I am trying to photograph? Also, once I've settled on one, I intend on going to a store to just handle the camera and see if it feels right for me, is there anything I should be on the lookout for? Any "tactics" that salesmen use to sell a product or attachment that is not really required? Any questions I should ask the salesman? Also, from my understanding, cameras are fairly long-lasting, assuming you take proper care of them. In that case, I shouldn't need an extended warranty, correct? Is there anything else that I should consider that I've missed?

Lastly, could you please have a look at this picture? This is a JPG generated from a shot of an item from my collection which was captured using a camera available at home, a Lumix DMC-FH5. I believe it is a regular point-and-shoot camera. If you blow the image up to full zoom, you'll see the image is a bit grainy. What is the cause of this? Is this the regular noise generated by the camera?

I'd appreciate any help/advice I could get. Thank you!

Edit: Hope this is posted in the right forum!

Last edited:
Long post but I think I have the answer for you.
For macro photography I doubt there will be very little difference between the D5200 and D3300.
The sensor on the D3300 is slightly newer and it lacks AA filter which should give you slightly sharper images and is slightly better in higher ISO.
On the other hand the D5200 has the tilting screen which might come in handy when doing macro.
The D5200 has few more features compared to the D3300, google them if you want to know what they are.
But as I said overall when it comes to image quality the difference is very minimal, either one will be good for your needs.
Which lens for the type of macro work you want to do.
Either the Nikon 40mm 2.8G or Nikon 60mm 2.8G.
Used to own both and both are great, the 60mm will give you the advantage of you want to shoot bugs or other critters you want to stay further from so they will not fly away.

To shoot macro you will also need a tripod, a remote trigger and a flash ring which is attached to the lens.
When you shoot you put lens to manual and focus while using the live view screen.
Shoot at 100ISO and I would use aperture no less then f8 to get as much as I can of subject in focus.
The only thing you do need to worry about is shutter speed because camera will be on tripod and always used the remote to prevent camera shake while pressing the shutter release button.

The grain in the picture you posted comes from camera shooting at high ISO and that's why I told you shoot at 100ISO to get as clean of an image as possible.

And as for kit lens, well that's always a good idea in case you want to use your camera for anything else then just macro, the 18-55mm VR is a good beginners lens, I would try to go for the 18-140mm which gives you more range and flexibility.

Well since your shooting a stationary object the number of autofocus points really doesn't matter, you only need one. In fact in that situation I'd recommend you reduce the number of AF points to one, so the camera doesn't end up choosing something unintended as the point of focus. VR likewise is a moot point if your using a tripod, VR is only really needed if your shooting handheld in lower light situations, it allows you to reduce the shutter speed and still prevent camera shake in the final image. On a tripod you'll actually want to shut the VR off.

The D3300's advantage in low light is very slight, in fact so much so that I doubt you'd probably notice much of a difference in the end results. Of the two given the type of photography you describe I'd prefer the D5200, the reason being it has a flip out screen. This will allow you to line up shots a lot easier from various angles.

Really the key here is going to be lighting - I'd recommend you look into maybe a light tent of some sort.

Hi!

Thank you, both, for your replies! I have a few follow-up questions on your posts.

Either the Nikon 40mm 2.8G or Nikon 60mm 2.8G.
If I go for a lens as part of the kit (18-55mm), would that work in place of the 40mm lens? Or is there a benefit of buying the 40mm lens separately? As for the 60mm lens, I don't think I'll be taking photos of moving objects soon. I shouldn't need that lens right now, correct?

To shoot macro you will also need a tripod, a remote trigger and a flash ring which is attached to the lens.
What advantages does a ring flash have over a regular flash that comes as part of the camera? Would this be beneficial for shooting stationary objects?

Also, with regards to the remote trigger: Is this necessary at this point? I believe you recommended it because it would help with focus stacking. Is that correct, or are there other added benefits of using a remote trigger?

The D3300's advantage in low light is very slight, in fact so much so that I doubt you'd probably notice much of a difference in the end results. Of the two given the type of photography you describe I'd prefer the D5200, the reason being it has a flip out screen. This will allow you to line up shots a lot easier from various angles.
The items in my collection can be moved around. Would this still warrant a flip-out screen? As part of the features list, this was actually the one thing I didn't want as part of the camera because the shots I intend on taking can all be re-oriented by moving the camera. Is there a situation that I could come across where using a flip screen would help?

Really the key here is going to be lighting - I'd recommend you look into maybe a light tent of some sort.
I was considering these, because you can only do so much in Photoshop. Problem is, the figures I collect range in size from an inch to more than 24". Also, is a light-tent something a hobbyist would purchase? I've seen them, and they look like something only professionals would use for commercial products. Please do correct me if I am wrong, as I have no experience in photography and was just looking to get started.

Thank you, once again for your time!

Hi!

Thank you, both, for your replies! I have a few follow-up questions on your posts.

The advantage to the flip out screen is that it gives you more flexibility in camera placement. So for example if you don't happen to have a table that is the exact height that you need you can place the camera level with your subject and use the screen to line up your shot.

Light tents are pretty much for everybody, you can get them in all sorts of sizes so you can find one I'm sure large enough to accommodate your larger figures. You can even build them yourself if you want, plenty of info out there on google.

If it were me I'd start with just the kit lens, and spend the money on lighting instead. The kit lens will most likely suit your needs fine to start with, the lighting will be more crucial to good results at least at first.

Remote triggers are dirt cheap, your looking at like maybe $10-$12.. and yes for this I'd say they would be worth their weight in gold. No chance of introducing camera shake because your not touching the camera.

The 40mm 2.8G Micro is a Macro lens and its a totally different lens then the 18-55mm
Its purpose made for macro work and you will need that for your style of photography.
Nikon 18-55mm is a nice entry level general use lens, you can do close up photography with it but it will be a very limiting factor as for macro photography you will need macro lens, the Nikon 40mm 2.8G is not expensive and very good for non pro work for people on limited budget, I bought mine used and sold it for same price so its nice to buy something who keeps it value too.
No matter what camera or what system you will choose for Macro work you will be forced to buy a macro lens.
There is one more option which is buying extension rings and with them you can use your general use lens for macro work but I never used that so I don't want to recommend it but if you tight on cash it is an option and should research on that.

When shooting macro with a regular flash the lens will cast shadow on subject photographed so its impossible to get the effect of ring flash vs on camera flash.

Remote trigger is to prevent camera shake when camera on tripod and you have long shutter speed, you can save the cash if you use the camera timer, this will prevent camera shake but its a PITA if you do macro as your main subject of photography, BTW a generic Nikon remote should be around 10$

Is there anything else that I should consider that I've missed?
I'm just going to try to answer a couple of your questions.

Look at the native ISO for each camera to see if they are the same in low light levels.

Multiple focus points has nothing to do with varying the depth of field. That is a combination of sensor size, lens focal length, lens aperture, and distance from the lens to your subject.

Salesmen may try to convince you to buy more stuff, some worthwhile, some not so much. You probably will never need a UV filter, even though they will claim it is for extra lens protection. Just don't put it on until you actually need it. They may try to add in stuff like a bag, (usually way too small to be of any use to you), and a cheap tripod (get a good one).

Actually, you're supposed to go into the store knowing more than the salesman, which is not difficult, so the only questions you should ask the salesman are; "Is this camera in stock?" "How much for the extended warranty?" and "Will you throw in a top-quality SD card at no additional charge?" Those are the questions to ask your salesman.

There is a strong temptation to go online and grab one of those "hundred piece" kits, but I will counsel you to resist. Most of that stuff is simply cheap stuff that has little real value in the long run, and is packaged with your camera to pad the price point.

Hi again

Thank you all for your replies. Got a few more questions!
If it were me I'd start with just the kit lens, and spend the money on lighting instead. The kit lens will most likely suit your needs fine to start with, the lighting will be more crucial to good results at least at first.
I've had a look online and it looks like the D5200 comes as a body only, single lens kit, or two lens kit, with the lenses being 8-55mm & 55-200mm. Do you recommend I go for both the lenses? Or just a single one (and what size?)? If my understanding is correct, the 55-200mm lens is used if I want to zoom in from a distance? I'm thinking of both, as it gives me more versatility if I want to try out different types of photography.

Light tents are pretty much for everybody, you can get them in all sorts of sizes so you can find one I'm sure large enough to accommodate your larger figures. You can even build them yourself if you want, plenty of info out there on google.
I've had a look around and I noticed that light tents are either sold as-is or as part of a kit (with additional lighting). What would you recommend? Should I buy the tent as part of a kit? Or should I buy the lights separately? What type of lights should I be looking to buy? Both, in terms of brightness, and type (LED, CFL, etc.)?

Look at the native ISO for each camera to see if they are the same in low light levels.
Could you please elaborate on this? How do I check this? Is there a number I have to look for?

They may try to add in stuff like a bag, (usually way too small to be of any use to you), and a cheap tripod (get a good one).
This might be a bit of an odd question, but what should I be looking for in a good tripod? Obviously I'm assuming one with a good material of construction (high-grade aluminium?). But is there anything else I should be looking for? Anything I should test while I'm at the store?

"How much for the extended warranty?" and "Will you throw in a top-quality SD card at no additional charge?" Those are the questions to ask your salesman.
Do you recommend I go for an extended warranty? I didn't have the intention of going for it because I've heard cameras are fairly well-made and have a very low rate of failure. Do you suggest I buy a special SD card just for the camera? I was intending on using one of the many SD cards I have at home (made by Sandisk). If that is the case, is there a card you'd recommend?

Thank you all for your support. As of now, the shopping list looks like this:
1. Camera with kit
2. AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens
3. Light tent
4. Flash Ring
5. Remote Trigger
6. Tripod

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Edit: I just found out the the D5200 is actually discontinued by Nikon. Is it okay to still purchase cameras that are discontinued? How does the support work for such cameras? What would be the new model to replace the D5200? Is it the D5300?

Last edited:
Do you recommend I go for an extended warranty? I didn't have the intention of going for it because I've heard cameras are fairly well-made and have a very low rate of failure. Do you suggest I buy a special SD card just for the camera? I was intending on using one of the many SD cards I have at home (made by Sandisk). If that is the case, is there a card you'd recommend?

Thank you all for your support. As of now, the shopping list looks like this:
1. Camera with kit
2. AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G Lens
3. Light tent
4. Flash Ring
5. Remote Trigger
6. Tripod

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Edit: I just found out the the D5200 is actually discontinued by Nikon. Is it okay to still purchase cameras that are discontinued? How does the support work for such cameras? What would be the new model to replace the D5200? Is it the D5300?
Extended warranty may not be for everyone, but it has saved my bacon more than once, for instance on a computer.

As for the SD card; you should format the card in the camera, so it will, in effect, be only for the camera.

I don't know that would work, using a light tent and ring flash together. Seems as if you're over-thinking it here.

The better tripods are going to cost more, but most photographers will seek a good one and are willing to pay more.

I don't use light tents myself, product photography really isn't my specialty so as far brands, etc I'll leave that up to others to recommend. Flash ring or light tent I think, shouldn't need both. I'd probably go light tent because you'll have more control over the lighting that way.

As for tripods, you can get inexpensive tripods that weigh a ton but are sturdy, or inexpensive tripods that are lightweight and won't last long at all. If you want something lightweight and sturdy it's going to get expensive, quick.

I went for something heavy but sturdy, because I don't really use a tripod more than once in a blue moon and as such the weight wasn't an issue for me. In your situation that might also be the case, since it sounds like you'll mostly be using it at home and not moving it around a lot so maybe something heavy but sturdy will suit your needs.

Since it sounds like you'll be using one a lot though maybe look for a good brand name used.

Hi again

Thank you, all, very much for your replies. I've learnt quite a lot in the process too. I think I'll drop the flash ring, a light tent might give me more control over the lighting.

There's just one last thing that I'd appreciate advice on, and that is regarding optional lenses I can get as part of a kit. While my previous post mentioned the D5200, it extends to the other cameras I've looked at.
I've had a look online and it looks like the D5200 comes as a body only, single lens kit, or two lens kit, with the lenses being 8-55mm & 55-200mm. Do you recommend I go for both the lenses? Or just a single one (and what size?)? If my understanding is correct, the 55-200mm lens is used if I want to zoom in from a distance? I'm thinking of both, as it gives me more versatility if I want to try out different types of photography.

I could go for a body only, and pick up the macro lens advised, or I could go all the way and pick up both lenses which might give me a bit more flexibility. In your past experience, is it worth picking up those stock lenses, just to give you a little more versatility? Is it worth the price increase?

Thanks!

Depends on the price difference between the kits, you can get a 55-200 mm Nikkor off ebay for about $120-$130 or so used/refurbished so if the price difference between kits is in that range it might be worth looking into for some added versatility. It's most likely not a lens you'll use indoors much but for outdoor shooting in good lighting it does an ok job from most reports.

The 18-55 is on my camera most of the time, and I've used my 55-200 a few times, but for what I do, I seldom need it. Both lenses are not much money, so go ahead and get them both in your first kit. You will eventually want to expand on your lens collection, so keep that in mind.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back