apples is not as smart as I thought"Aperture"

nikon90s

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a Imac G5 1.8 that is not a year old yet and I was thinking about getting Aperture. But you need a better video card then comes with a one year old computer and as you know you can't change the video card on a iMac. Anyone else find this to be a bad move? Looks like they are heading down the Bill gates way of thinking, lets make a great program and make people spend a bunch more to get it to work.:thumbdown:

I have to say that imac's are pretty hearty machines. Aperture seems like a good program. I am not sure if Aperture is even shipping yet. If you are on the fence then do not make any hasty decisions. Wait until it has been out a couple of months so you can test drive it. Consider saving the extra 300 for Adobe CS you get a lot more programs that may valuable to your lab down the road.

I am not sure if Aperture is even shipping yet.
They are.

I think, at the end of the day, one will have Aperture and PS on the computer.

nikon90s said:
you need a better video card then comes with a one year old computer
Looking at the specs I don't feel this to be the case.
http://www.apple.com/aperture/specs.html
There are rather a lot of video cards that will run it and a lot of them are just basic.
Most software runs better if you have high spec hardware. Aperture appears to be aimed at the pro market, and anyone who uses a Mac professionally will tend to go for the pro Macs which are easily upgradeable.
I don't see anything wrong with new software requiring new technology. It's called 'progress' I think.

I think that is too much money to spend. Aperture's 500 dollar price tag is tough. I do not think people can afford both. Let alone computer capacity.

Aperture's light table and archive features are something Adobe neglected. CS provides text,web,pdf design.

I think you will have to consider (as always) the work that you do.

Personally; I wish Aperture came out years ago. I do a basic edit and call it good. CS comes in handy for promo material, but that only happens once a year.

elements is always there as a cheap alternative for photographers if they dont require all the fancy text, web and design options. It might be all most people need

Most reactions

Back