Alpa Reflex ii operation instructions

Heidi Rosser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, so I've managed to get my hands on an lovely Alpa Reflex ii. An exciting addition to my collection.
Finger crossed it will arrive tomorrow according to the tracking.
From the information I've read online I know there is a particular sequence in which you have to do things to make it work. I've looked for a manual online for this model without any luck.
Just wondering if anyone can offer any guidance? I don't want to do things in the wrong order and risk damaging the camera.
It had a CLA a couple of years ago so is currently in good working order.
Does anyone have any links or info they can send me?
Feeling excited. Will post an image once I have it.

Yes most models other than the early Reflex cameras unfortunately. I think I have a good idea but I know there is a mirror up lever for storage which I wanted to check on.

I have 3 Focal Press camera books, they are late 1950s early 60s and yearly publications.

upload_2020-8-4_15-16-22.png

I think one or two have the Alpa reflex in them, essentially they are short summaries from the Focal Press Camera Guides to each make. There's far rarer SLR and Rangefinder cameras in them :D

When I've made a cup of tea I'll pop up to the darkroom (end of my garden) where my technical books are kept. If there's anything relevant I'll scan later. In the late 1970's early 80's I worked with a consultant, his French mother was from the Lumiere family, he did some work for Alpa and also Elinchrom, both companies were located in the same former British TB clinic in Switzerland.

Ian

Last edited:
I think I've worked it out from scouring Mr Google. Very much like a Leica in operation. The mirror up button is very important especially if you have an extractable lens.
This is the Reflex Model ii of which there were only 4570 were produced, with only 519 of the two pin flash synchronisation on the lower front. The lens is an Old Deft Alfinon 50mm 2.8 lens.
It's very nice camera indeed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200805_171750607_compress79.jpg
    IMG_20200805_171750607_compress79.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20200805_171624739_compress29.jpg
    IMG_20200805_171624739_compress29.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 170
Is it a rangefinder, which also allows reflex viewing?

Maybe it's because we have lots of people coming here from all over the world. Some settle especially the photographers due to the stunning scenery.
I recently joined a vintage camera society here as a volunteer. I was blown away by the collection. Boxes of cameras some on display others in storage. Many very rare.
They hold the biggest collection in New Zealand.

Last edited:
Yes I believe it is Derrel. Such a good idea. Mechanically it feels quality just like a Leica.

Hi, so I've managed to get my hands on an lovely Alpa Reflex ii. An exciting addition to my collection.
Finger crossed it will arrive tomorrow according to the tracking.
From the information I've read online I know there is a particular sequence in which you have to do things to make it work. I've looked for a manual online for this model without any luck.
Just wondering if anyone can offer any guidance? I don't want to do things in the wrong order and risk damaging the camera.
It had a CLA a couple of years ago so is currently in good working order.
Does anyone have any links or info they can send me?
Feeling excited. Will post an image once I have it.

Good purchase, looks great, Alpa has always been a fantastic brand. Why not write to the factory, include the photos of your purchase, because I think they'd love to see their camera ended up with an enthusiastic collector in New Zealand. I think they would be quite willing to assist you with advice and it wouldn't surprised me they have an original manual that you might be able to get a copy of (many manufacturers, like Hasselblad and Leica, keep these things in archive), who knows, if you don't ask you never know! And I see a Dutch lens, gosh, you don't see that too often, Oldelft, in fact this company still exists, in an other (merged) form since 1990.

Most reactions

Back