Advice on buying this enlarger

i am thinking of setting up a tiny darkroom to do just contact sheets. I am interested in a durst m301 enlarger because of its size. Does anyone know if it will make an 11x14 print or close to it ? Im not printing, but this enlargement setting will ensure an even amount of light- i cant use an enlarger that just makes 8 x10s. thanks.

If it doesn't with the lens it comes with, just use a shorter focal length lens.

i am thinking of setting up a tiny darkroom to do just contact sheets. I am interested in a durst m301 enlarger because of its size. Does anyone know if it will make an 11x14 print or close to it ? I'm not printing, but this enlargement setting will ensure an even amount of light- i cant use an enlarger that just makes 8 x10s. thanks.
You don't need an enlarger or lens for contact prints. A common bare frosted incandescent light bulb hung above the printing frame is fine for black and white negatives. You'll need a filtered light source for color negatives - a dichroic enlarger head head is convenient, gel-filters work as well. I don't shoot color negatives, so cannot offer any other advice there.

thats true about using a bare bulb, but i prefer an enlarger.

You don't need an enlarger or lens for contact prints. A common bare frosted incandescent light bulb hung above the printing frame is fine for black and white negatives. You'll need a filtered light source for color negatives - a dichroic enlarger head head is convenient, gel-filters work as well. I don't shoot color negatives, so cannot offer any other advice there.

One needs an 11x14 negative to make an 11x14 contact print.

(Deleted, because I reread the post and realized my comment was silly.)

Last edited:
i am thinking of setting up a tiny darkroom to do just contact sheets. I am interested in a durst m301 enlarger because of its size. Does anyone know if it will make an 11x14 print or close to it ? Im not printing, but this enlargement setting will ensure an even amount of light- i cant use an enlarger that just makes 8 x10s. thanks.
A 50mm enlarging lens on that enlarger will work fine for 11x14 contact prints/Photograms. I use Rodenstock and Nikkor but for just contacts any clean 50mm lens will do.

I am wondering if a durst F60 might be a way to go; does anyone have the length of the center column? i tried the site that refers to all durst enlargers but couldnt find a column height.

Looking at one on the bay for sale it looks to be around 25-27" in height.

Most reactions

Back