60 Mega Pixel Camera

I

Iron Flatline

I'll see you, and then I'll raise you.
The medium format digital back market is small, probably less than 6,000 units a year world-wide. Canon makes more DSLRs than this each day. But, for several reasons, it's a vibrant and important industry because these are often the tools used by leading pros.

Firstly, these devices are for photographers needing to shoot at the extremes of image quality performance, where only the highest resolution, lowest noise, widest dynamic range and most accurate colour will do.

Secondly, just as in the car industry no one buys Car and Driver magazine to lust over the latest Ford Focus. They would rather read about the next-generation Ferrari. In the photographic industry it's the same; the high-end exotic gear creates the biggest interest, not to mention want bumps.

July 14th will see the announcement of the Phase One P65+, arguably the most desirable medium format digital back yet. What makes it so?​
Here's the story...:​
60 MP sensor, first full-frame 645 frame sensor

Last edited by a moderator:
"The P65+ digital back starts at US $39,990"

I'll finish posting after I come to. :confused:

I read $49K not 39...

But to some of us $50K isn't all that much and a job or two will pay it off.

I read $49K not 39...

But to some of us $50K isn't all that much and a job or two will pay it off.

from the article:
The P65+ digital back starts at US $39,990 and can also be had with a Phase One camera system starting at $41,990.

but still a camera back that cost more than a regular car is kinda crazy but if you have a job that gives like 50k a month maybe you can afford it :lol: well what does a newbie like me know about professional gears :blushing:

btw a 60 mpixel photo would be huge probably more than 100 MB so would the camera "lag" after taking a shot?

Last edited:
Why you thinking of taking it off to the track and firing off at 10fps? ;)

A large sensor probably comes with more than the simple 100mb buffers we have in our SLRs

There are other possible markets for these high-end sensors that just still cameras. A few of the story about last weeks Kodak 50gb sensor release talking about aerial application said that the Kodak sensor was able to see a lab top computer or down to 1 sq foot on a 1-1/2 sq mile field, can us say U2. Also the movie industry is still mostly film for now but is changing to digital too

from the article:
The P65+ digital back starts at US $39,990 and can also be had with a Phase One camera system starting at $41,990.

but still a camera back that cost more than a regular car is kinda crazy but if you have a job that gives like 50k a month maybe you can afford it :lol: well what does a newbie like me know about professional gears :blushing:

btw a 60 mpixel photo would be huge probably more than 100 MB so would the camera "lag" after taking a shot?
"360MB 16 bit files..."
I dunno. I doubt it actually. I think that's the engineering you're paying for - probably some kind of massively parallel bus.

I shot allot with a 24MP Hasselblad connected to a Mac Pro Quad. There was zero lag and shot to shot times were faster than even a mad-man could wind a standard film back.

I'm just a hobby guy too but if I had a business that needed or could benefit from that back at $40K (thanks for the correction) I don't think I would hesitate. I spent more then 40K on the A2s I set up that you may have read me mentioning. That was just one job too. Tho I did get to use it a bunch more times before I sold it off. Ask if you're interested I love to brag about it. :D

Anyway, I almost always have the same reactions as you to stuff like this ($40K... R U FRIKKING KIDDING?!??!) but I'm always reminded by guys who actually know what their doing that if it makes you money then it's worth it. So I thought I do the change-up this time. :D

Last edited:
... and they are useful to take very nice product photographs of .... 60MP cameras ... :)

There are other possible markets for these high-end sensors that just still cameras. A few of the story about last weeks Kodak 50gb sensor release talking about aerial application said that the Kodak sensor was able to see a lab top computer or down to 1 sq foot on a 1-1/2 sq mile field, can us say U2. Also the movie industry is still mostly film for now but is changing to digital too

hehe if you talk about aerial application i think Fairchild ccd 595 at 81 Mpixel on 80.64x80.64 imagine area would probably be even better but of course the price is a bit higher around 100 000 :D

The P65+ lists for $39,990.00 for a Classic One Year Warranty and $42,990.00 for the Three Year Value Added Warranty.

New P65+ digital back specs/features :

It features a Dalsa sensor that has been developed with close cooperation from Phase One and includes many Phase One patents. This chip is exclusive to Phase One.
The dimensions are 53.9mmx40.4mm @ 6x6 micron – 60.5 MP CCD.
Lens magnification is 1.0x ! 20% larger image area then the 36x49mm CCD.
180MB TIF file in 8-bit RGB
Raw IIQL file size – 60MB
Raw IIQS file size – 40MB
(keep in mind the H25 which was 22MP in RAW 3.0 format had a RAW file size of about 43MB)
Capture Rates as fast as 1 frame/sec
ISO range 50-800
12.5 f-stops DR
Optimized for T&S and Wide Angle (less lens cast calibration required)
Exposure range 1/4000 to 1 min
Available in P/M645AFD , V, H and Contax Mount

Take a look at Phase One's and Capture Integration's web sites to see and read more about it.

http://www.captureintegration.com/

http://www.phaseone.com/Content/p1digitalbacks/P65plus/Introduction.aspx

Please contact Dave Gallagher, Lance Schad or I for more information.

Chris Lawery
Sales Manager
[email protected]
Capture Integration, Phase One Dealer of the Year

877-217-9870 | National Atlanta / Miami
404-234-5195 | Cell

Most reactions

Back